Friday, February 5, 2010

George Allen's Story


On 22 June 1886 in Wellington George Allen wrote an account of his life. I have used information from this for this section on George Allen.

“ I must come to my some what erratic career in my early manhood. I passed the usual life of a school boy in my native town, where I was born on the first day of November, in the year of our Lord, 1814, and was the eldest of eight viz.– three sons and five daughters. After doing well at the Deal academy, my father, knowing I wished to be a sailor, sent me over to France, and at the port of Calais I picked up a tolerable knowledge of French, but owing to some grievance on the part of the French family I resided with, I left France a few months too early to have made a thorough knowledge of French. I then returned to Deal, and at the early age of thirteen years and six months was apprenticed to my Father’s partner, James Ratcliff, a celebrated and skilful tradesman. I was induced to alter my early inclination of going to sea on account of the failing health of my Father, who died on the 15th of April, 1830, after a very long and painful illness, after which sad event I stuck zealously to my trade and in a short time there were few men in the establishment who could beat me as a workman. I served my seven years truly and faithfully, with some of the disagreements of an apprentice, many times desirous of going and seeing the world of waters, but, thanks to good advice given to me by a retired friend Captain Jonathan Taylor, I was persuaded to kept true to my engagement, and I am thankful to say that I did as I found the possession of being a skilful mechanic a great boon. I have been able at a comparative early age to retire from working at my trade as a boat builder, and I have enjoyed many years of leisure in my old age. I became engaged to my dear wife, who was then Jane Elizabeth Paul, but on account of a lover’s quarrel or tiff, I ultimately left old England on the 21st day of May 1836.”



This is a copy of George’s Indenture to James Ratcliff.

This Indenture witnesses, that George Allen, son of George Allen of the Town and Borough of Deal in the County of Kent, doth put himself, apprentice to James Ratcliffe, Boat Builder, to learn his Art or Mystery, with him after the manner of an Apprentice to serve from the date here of for and during the term of Seven years next ensuring; during all which time, he the said Apprentice his said Masters faithfully shall serve his secrets keep, and all his lawful commands every where gladly do; he shall do no damage to his said Master, nor see it to be done by others without letting or giving notice thereof to his said Master, he shall not waste his said Master’s goods, nor lend them unlawfully to any, but in all things behave himself as a faithful Apprentice in the Trade or Mystery he now follows.

And for the true performance of all and every the said Covenants and Agreements each of the said Parties binds himself to the others formly by these presents.

In witness where of they have interchangeably set their hands here unto, this Twenty Second Day of June in the Year of Our Lord, On Thousand Eight Hundred and Twenty Nine.

James Ratcliff
George Allen

“On Saturday the 14th day of May, 1836, I was busily employed finishing a whale boat, when a neighbouring trader called at our boat building shop and inquired if any young man of our trade felt any inclination to accept an appointment under the South Australia Company as a boat builder, to proceed to Adelaide, South Australia. I, in an unguarded moment undertook to leave all my friends and relatives, also my widowed mother to my great disgrace, with a family of seven young children to battle the world, but under the protection of Mr James Radcliff, acting the benevolent part of a protector to my mother and orphan family. This conduct on my part left an undying regret and I was well punished during my absence, in mind and body for my unfaithful behaviour to my beloved mother and family, a fatal mistake on my part.

Well within one week of the undertaking I was on board a small brig named the “Emma”, Captain Nelson, with a few more passengers, also indented servants of the above company. We then proceeded on our voyage, I suffered very much from sea sickness and remorse, but there was no help I was launched on my way. We had a tedious voyage of several weeks to the Cape of Good Hope where we laid for twenty-eight days taking in stores for the new settlement; I would if possible have returned to England, but in those days there was no means to do so however, I wrote home penitential letters to my mother, and also one to my old love Jane Paul asking her to renew the engagement pledging myself to return as soon as possible, I did so endeavour to do but the following narrative will explain the reason for my absence. We arrived at our destination on the 6th day of October, 1836, at Kangaroo Island, then its wild state, and found a few of the Company’s servants employed in erecting bush huts and living in tents until better shelter could be provided.




Nepean Bay on Kangaroo Island taken in 2003. This is a sand spit with the bush area in the foreground a historic reserve where the South Australia Company first settled. There were difficulties as Kangaroo Island had no fresh water streams.

My first duty on landing with a young lad that left his home with me, was to erect some shelter for which we did out of scrub and tea tree, and here I commenced to work at my trade by repairing a whaleboat belonging to one of the Sealers resident on the island, and afterwards I was employed in conjunction with another boat builder who arrived a few weeks after myself, in building several whaleboats for the fisheries about to be established on parts of the South Australian Coasts, where the whales frequent in the winter season and the fishing was successful. I was induced to go there for two months in the place of a man expected from Hobart Town who did not arrive until the season was nearly over. On his arrival, I returned to Kangaroo Island (Nepean Bay) and continued at my trade, also helping to repair one of the Company’s whaleboats, the “Sarah and Elizabeth” having finished her, I managed to get my discharge sometime in the month of November 1837.

I had an opportunity offered me to return home by an exchange by a carpenter of the ship “Solway” of London, who desired to remain in the colony, and I desired to leave it. I joined the ship and in a week or two’s time we sailed for Encounter Bay, the sight of one of the company’s whale fisheries, to take in about 200 tons of oil and whalebone, intending to go to Hobart Town to fill with wool. We arrived in the Bay alright and the next day were busily employed with the assistance of the whale men mooring the ship, but through the refusal of the Captain to give the men a dram of rum before they commenced work by hauling the ship under a bluff headland, and mooring her to the rocks by the stern, the ship was left out in the open Bay, and during the night a furious gale set in, the ship riding very heavily at her cables, and the two anchors being laid for mooring purposes only acting as a single anchor immediately in side us the surf was breaking furiously on a reef and we were in eminent danger of our lives provided that the cables, parted at about eleven o’clock one of her chains parted, the other chain brought the ship up head to the sea. She therefore took the reef end on and when she first struck, her stern frame was very much damaged, and after striking heavily for a few minutes she dragged bodily onto the reef and filled full of water up to the hold beams. We had to take to the rigging to save our lives, and for many hours we were in great danger, but at low tide the whalers came off through the surf and got under the lee of our stern and we were able, some through the poop windows, some down the top lifts of the sparkers boom, to drop by ropes into the whaleboats, and ultimately we were all safely landed by the skill of the boatman dropping in and foremost through the surf and landed in what we stood upright in, that being a blue shirt and a pair of duck trousers - this happened on the 18 day of December,1837.

The next day being fine we were able to board the wreck. I found my clothes chest and tool chest and bedding as I had left them when we left the ship, mine being fortunately on the weather side, escaped loss and damage. Those on the lee side were totally destroyed by whale oil and other means from the salt water in the hold. The whalers, to whom I was well known, took all I had and landed them first of all, and after that, the Captain’s goods who was the first to leave the ship. The ship was condemned on survey, and after fitting up the long boat, we crossed the Straits to Kangaroo Island where I stayed for two or three weeks unemployed – the company would have nothing to do with me- However, another opportunity offered me by joining the ship “Sarah and Elizabeth”, the ship that I helped to prepare, she having successfully shipped the oil in Encounter Bay. We started the voyage to Hobart Town but had a very rough passage, the old ship leaked very badly. The Captain told me on one occasion of the serious leaks, that it would be a good job when we got into port as the ship was 60 years old by the present register, and that it did not say when she was built. The captain declared that she was one of the Old Spanish Armada. She was an extraordinary bluff bowed old ship and had a chequered career, as I had known her in my boyhood as a South Sea whaler.

We arrived at Hobart Town to our great joy, where the old ship was condemned for repairs and we were paid off. No opportunities offering in Hobart to proceed on my voyage home I went to work at my trade as a boat builder. I was doing very well indeed, earning five pounds a week, and should have certainly stopped in Hobart, as many inducements were held out to me to do so, but, having made up my mind to go to Sydney by the first opportunity, I did so by falling in with a young lad from Deal, who got me a passage to Sydney on his ship the “Henry”, Captain Bunney, and after a prosperous passage landed in Sydney. I worked on board ship as a shipwright for some time and might have done well at my trade if I had started as a boat builder, but, still being bent on going home, I had an opportunity of joining a very fine ship as a carpenter, called the “Orontes” of London, laying in Sydney Harbour, bound in due time for Madras, but the arrival of the HMS “Alligator” and her tender the “Brittomart”. Freight was invited to take down stores, houses in frame, and all the necessaries required to form a settlement on the North West Coast of New Holland. We sailed for that part of the world on the 21st day of September 1838, in the company of “Alligator” and two Merchantmen to go by way of Torres Strait.

An opportunity having offered me as carpenter of the good ship “Orontes”, Captain Short, after laying some time in Sydney Harbour our Captain got the charter to take the buildings and other stores required for the new settlement about to be formed in North West Australia at Port Essington. We left Sydney Harbour on the 17th day of September, 1838, had to take the unknown and dangerous passage known as Torres Strait. After a good deal of buffeting against a foul wind we caught the S.E. Monsoon and made our way through the Straits, keeping a good lookout for danger. The “Alligator” most times leading the way, and after a passage of twelve days we cleared the Straits and I must express my delight at the views that were daily offered us. The reef on which Captain Cook’s ship “Endeavour” struck, the Cape called Tribulation, with Endeavour River where the ship was partly repaired was brought to view by our Chief Officer, W. W. Simpson, a gentleman of great attainment who was a good friend to me. After leaving the Straits we hove to off Booby Island, on Sunday I went on shore in our quarter boat to have a look at the barren rock, myriad’s of birds in the shape of Boobies filled the air as we landed, and after entering in the log book on the Island we re-embarked and proceeded on our journey and ultimately reached Port Essington on the 26th day of October 1838.

We anchored and the work of discharging the cargo commenced and in about seven weeks it was completed. We then made sail for our destination, Madras but on the second day after leaving the Inner Harbour and being about six miles from the land of New Holland, we struck an unknown reef and after boxing the yard for a few minutes the ship floated, but on sounding the pumps found her in a sinking state having made about two feet of water in about ten minutes. I reported the condition of the ship to Captain Short who laughed at me for making such a report, but on being convinced by the Chief Officer of the state of affairs, asked me to give my opinion of what was best to be done. I recommended to square the yard and try to run the ship on shore before the water made her unmanageable, which course was taken and the ship ran on shore before the mainland of New Holland, after one and a quarter hours struggle at the pumps, we landed, and on sounding the well, I found nine feet of water in the hold and everything we had on board under water in the hold, and before the seaman could get into the forecastle their chests were swimming.

A boat was sent up the harbour to communicate the disaster to the Commodore, Sir Gordon Bremer. We should have been in a very precarious state as we were surrounded the next morning by many canoes filled with blacks, well armed with spears and boomerangs, but fortunately before any attack was made the launch of “Alligator” hove in sight well manned and armed, and then the blacks cleared out, to our great joy.”

This is to certify that the bearer George Allen served on board the late ship “Orontes” from June 1838 till her loss Dec 1838 (as carpenter) during which time he conducted himself in a steady manner and can recommended him as good Carpenter.
Sydney July 22nd 1839 Signature unable to read
Late ship “Orontes”

“These …?.. certify that George Allen ..?.. as Carpenter of the Ship “Orontes” under my command from 4th June 1838 to 26th December 1838 during which time he conducted himself to my satisfaction

Dated at Port Essington 4 Feby 1839
Joseph Short”

There is also a copy of the list of crewmembers of the “Orontes”. Listing George Allen as Carpenter of Deal England. There was one other crewmember from Deal a J Benon (?) a seaman. His Carpenters Mate was George Feind (?) of Gravesend.

“The ship was surveyed and condemned and after dismantling the ship were embarked on board the “Brittomart” and taken back to the Inner Port from whence we sailed so short a time back on our voyage home to Madras. We were landed on the beach at the Inner Port with our chests and our bedding without anything to eat on the first day of January 1839, a poor disconsolate body of shipwrecked men not knowing what would be our next move. The marines that came down with us took us up to their encampment and gave us a share of their poor daily ration, and after that I interviewed the Commodore with the boatswain, our Chief Officer who was a friend being on the sick list – our Captain and Second Officer entirely abandoned us to the tender mercies of the Naval Authorities. I will briefly inform of our interview as follows.

We met the Commodore, Sir Gordon Bremer, accompanied by his purser, a gent with one arm. I briefly stated our case and necessities, telling him of the remarks made by Lieutenant Stanley, commanding the ten ton “Pelter Brittomart” from which brig we had been so badly used, not having anything to eat for some hours and finding the softest place on the forecastle deck for my bed and the stalk of the anchor for my pillow. We briefly threw ourselves and our shipmates on the Officer Commanding as shipwrecked seamen, and he immediately assumed the responsibility as his duty, informing us that he had no means of sending us to Sydney until some months might elapse before the “Alligator” could leave for that Port, informing us that he could only allow us the Naval ration of Cupon, two thirds of a navel ration of one pound of salt beef, one pound of bread with three quarters of a pound of flour, alternately with three quarters of a pound of pork with one grill of peas and one pound of bread. The next day, truly not a very brilliant outlook, for perhaps six months.

It took us nearly seven months before we got clear of the Royal Navy, however, the Commodore informed us that if we were willing to work he had no doubt that his influence with the Admiralty would be strong enough to get payment for our services that we might render. I immediately placed myself and my shipmates under his orders. He ordered the purser to issue our the daily ration and told us to take what sails we required for our tents and erect one forthwith which we did and after several hours fatigue in the sun and mosquito’s, the heat of about 130 degrees in the sun, we finally succumbed at 12 o’clock. The old black cook having cooked our salt beef, we crept under partial shelter and ate our dinner with a good appetite, and when the sun got less powerful at three o’clock went to work.

We finished our tents and hung our hammocks and sat for a few hours in the glooming listening to the frogs, the shriek of the flying foxes, and finally the biting of the terrible mosquitos. We went to our hammocks terribly fatigued and almost heart broken on our prospect of getting away from Port Essington. At sunrise the next morning we reported ourselves for duty, myself and the carpenters mate. We were placed under the orders of the carpenter of the “Alligator” and thence helped to build the houses and other lodgings required for the settlement, so the time crawled slowly along. An opportunity being offered to myself to get the good grace of the Commodore, he having a very fine six oared galley of his own which had, fortunately for me, broken adrift and was found so badly damaged that the Warrant Officer of the Alligator condemned her. The coxswain, knowing me by repute as coming from Deal, got me to examine her. I immediately saw that she was repairable and undertook to repair her.

I interviewed Sir Gordon and told him I could. He was delighted and said “Go ahead”, and I almost rebuilt her to his satisfaction and told me when finished that he had one more desire for me to work, as he was pleased to say that I had earned my rations, and said that he would take good care that such a report should be sent home to the Admiralty that would get me well paid for our services. He was as good as his word for after about fifteen months from the time of our return to Sydney, I applied to the Admiralty for my pay I found to my great surprise he had awarded the sum of ₤6: 6: 0 per month, the same as a Second Class Warrant Officer was entitled to in the Navy, with an additional eight shillings per month tool money. I received nearly ₤40 for my services rendered after the loss of our ship, the same wages as I had on board of the “Orontes”. Therefore not losing a days pay by the wreck, the “Orontes”, pay termination on the 31st December, 1838 and the Naval pay started on the 1st of January, 1839, so all ended well up to our arrival in Sydney. I still continued to assist the carpenter’s crew at repairing the boats and other duties until the order for embarkation came and we got up anchor at sunrise, made sail and started for Sydney. We arrived after a six weeks passage round Cape Lewin.”


There is a reference write from Commodore Bremer on 11th of July 1839.

“ These are to certify that George Allen, Carpenter belong to the Ship “Orontes” was wretched in that vessel off Port Essington and Subsequently served on board Her Majesty’s Ship “Alligator” from the 1st January until the 11th July 1839, during which period his conduce was in all aspects good.

I further certify that he is on of the men I have recommended to the favourable consideration of the Lord Commissioner (?) of the Admiralty. He having been employed on the public works of the New Settlement at “ Victoria” Port Essington.

Given under my hand on board Her Majesty’s Ship “Alligator” at Sydney this 11th day of July 1839
Gordon Bremer Captain”

“On our arrival at Sydney Harbour we moored ship and the next day fatigue parties of the Military stationed there came down to the landing place and carried up to hospital about 50 of the crew of the “Alligator” who were sore stricken, many of them in the last stage of the disease. The rest of the crew were, more or less, myself included, suffering great pains in our limbs and languor, so much so that the doctor told us that any of us that could stand the deck must do so as nearly all of us were more fitted for the sick list than duty. However, after a few days on shore most of us were convalescent, and the men in the hospital improved and no deaths took place.

We were mustered on the quarter-deck the day after our arrival in Sydney, and a certificate of good conduct was given to all and we were complimented by the Commodore on our good behaviour whilst under his command. I was strongly recommended to join the navy having been promised a Warrant Officers position if I would continue to serve. This I thankfully declined, the Commodore giving us to understand that a ration and shelter would be our service for one month without any duty. I declined with thanks for his and his Officers kindness to us during the time that we were attached to the Navy. After landing and getting lodgings, myself and a shipmate named Thomas Roach (from Ireland), kept idle for some time until an opportunity offered to proceed to England. An offer to join a large brig called the “Adelaide” which vessel was about to sail for New Zealand to load timber for the Colony of Adelaide. Two of my shipmates joined the brig and ultimately our Chief Officer of the “Orontes” (William Simpson from England) took the command of the brig to our satisfaction.

We sailed for New Zealand, calling at the Bay of Islands, landing cargo, and a few passengers, again sailed for the Thames, but stopped at an Island called Waiheke, where our owner purchased a large quantity of large logs of timber (Kauri). We lay together nearly ten weeks in New Zealand living well on New Zealand food – pork, potatoes and fish.”

This is to certify that George Allen sailed with one in the Brig Adelaide (a passage from Launceston Van Diemans Land) in the capacity of Carpenter during which time he conducted himself to my satisfactory and I can further recommend him as being a good workman, sober and attentive to all orders given him to execute
Given under my hand this ..?… 1840
Geo Dryden Master

“After completing loading we proceeded on our voyage to Adelaide and after a very stormy passage of five weeks arrived at our destination, finding many of our friends in Adelaide. We spent Christmas of 1839 in Adelaide (I wonder if George met up with John Snoswell who had arrived on the ship “Africaine” in Holdfast, Australia, 14 November 1836), enjoying the hospitality of my old chums, and after spending a pleasant time sailed for Launceston, then called Van Diemans Land, and shortly after our arrival commenced loading for London. It took us some time to fill up and about the 24th March, 1840, proceeded down the Tamar and had a narrow escape of shipwreck on our passage down having struck a snag, we hung on until the ship’s deck was a an angle of 45 degrees, the passengers and most of the crew were on the banks of the river when she suddenly slipped off into deep water, and on the sounding the well (repeatedly) found the ship taking no water.

We proceeded on our way down the navigation of the Tamar was nearly all done by warping, a very tedious process there being no tugs in existence at that time. I am sorry to record the loss of my friend Thomas Roach, who fell of the main top overboard and never rose again, to my sorrow, as I was very much attached to him after being shipmates for nearly two years. We sailed on 1st of April 1840, with a fair wind, intending to go round Cape Lewin therefore cheating the Horn. We had made some hundreds of miles on our way when strong westerly gales met us dead ahead and finding the ship had strained herself on a snag she began to make water very fast, and after a very stormy passage in the middle of winter doubled Cape Horn on the 25th day of June, covered with ice and snow.

The ship most of the time required pumping every hour. About fourteen days before leaving I laid up with a very bad attack of Yellow Jaundice, and it was nearly a case with me but fortunately had a doctor on board and ultimately recovered and went to my duty after rounding the Horn. We then got into fine warm weather and arrived at Rio Janeiro where we laid seven days.

We took in water and other supplies and sailed again for Old England, and met a northeaster in the chops of the channel, passing Deal on the morning of the 1st September, just five months on our journey home, and made fast in the docks on the 3rd September. I left the ship and went down to my Aunt and sister at Gravesend, and after settling up my affairs for wages etc, proceeded to Deal, met mother, brothers and sisters, not forgetting my faithful sweetheart Jane E. Paul, and once more in the home of my childhood after an absence of four years and five months, and there ends my adventures since I left my native lands.”

George Allen and Jane Elizabeth Paul, quarrelling lovers, were married in the Parish Church of St Leonard’s, Upper Deal, Kent, England on 10th November 1840 and left for New Zealand on the “Katherine Stewart Forbes” arriving in Wellington on 11th June 1841.


In Wellington, George established himself as a shipwright, specialising in whalers. Just along the beach from his yard at 57 Thorndon Quay, he built a brick and timber house, “Lasswade” for his family.

In the quarter century, which followed, made a snug competence, and retired to farm at Waiwhetu in 1866.” Apart from founding and managing a successful business, George Allen devoted much of his time to public affairs. In 1861-65 he was a member of the Committee, which decided on the position of Queen’s Wharf, and it was largely to his insistence that the durability of the piles was extended by coppering. From 1976-1883 he was a member of the Wellington City Council, and again in 1887-89. For a few months in 1879 after the resignation of Mr Joe Dransfield, he was Mayor of the City. He also served on the Charitable Aid Board, and for some years was a trustee and treasurer of the hospital (a ward being named after him).

In business he was for some years Managing Director of the Wellington Trust, Loan and Investment Company, and for some years before his death was Chairman.

After eight years on the farm, at Waiwhetu “Walmer” named after a Parish Town south of Deal, where his grandfather was a farmer and fisherman, he came back to “Lasswade”, his house in town, leaving the farm in the hands of his son, Thomas Paul Allen a member of the Hutt Borough Council.


(Grandma Allen)

Jane Elizabeth, was known for her kindness and gentleness, made a home for the growing family, Mary Ann, Jane Elizabeth, Thomas Paul, William Bennett, Eliza Hudson, Caroline Ann, Edward John, Alfred and Emma.


Standing Eliza Hudson & Caroline Ann
Centre- Edward John, Thomas Paul, Mary Ann, William Bennett, Alfred
Front- Emma, Jane Elizabeth

George ALLEN died 10 May 1899 and was buried at the Bolton St Cemetery, Wellington.

Jane Elizabeth Allen died 13 April 1888 and was buried at the Bolton St Cemetery.

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully you get this. My name is Sue, born Suzanne Louise Peirson and George Allen was my great great great great grandfather. I have just stumbles across this post of yours and very excited. We are related it would seem!!

    ReplyDelete